Friday, February 5, 2010

Be the change you want to see

I stole this title line just now from the title of another blog that I follow. But it's a common saying and is such a true one. Some people have vision, some people don't. I think I do. Some used say that I was a negative person, but I just said that I'm "realistic". Then I became a little more optimistic about things and was brought down a little by being disappointed. At this point, I think I'd rather be optimistic and possibly disappointed, then just pessimistic about everything. I think I honestly have an endorphin high from running a lot of the time, which is totally a good thing. I get ideas all the time, and I truly believe they are good ideas. It's just the implementing. It's like when you think of an invention, do nothing about it, and two years later, you see that someone has made bundles from YOUR idea. All you had to do was act on your idea, and see the change you wanted. I am in the middle of trying to make some changes that will improve the lives of Sioux City's abandoned and lost dogs and cats. Not sure if I will succeed as much as I hope that I do, but the main point is that I am trying. I got out there, did research, got facts, and had meetings with people who can help me implement change. Baby steps.
It's hard to NOT be pushy with some of these things. Why can't they see it from MY point of view and see how simple the changes are yet how important they can be? I know that just because something is important to me, doesn't mean that it's important to someone else. BUT I shall keep on plugging away and see if the vision that someone else saw, one that I took hold of and can now see for myself, is a possibility.
I'm also trying to change myself. Beyond being a more patient person that I am now, which part of it is good, part of it not so good, I would like to see some personal goals accomplished this year. Some are to have more fun with my kids. I do have a lot of fun with them, but I was truly overwhelmed with Running for a Paws and the foster cats, cake decorating, and Mary Kay. So I dropped the things that I didn't feel were as important. I like the optimistic person I've become so hope to carry that on when I'm tired and grumpy. Things can be worse, so be happy with what you have. I do carry around a feeling of thankfulness for all that I have, the friends, family, kids, cats, house, car, job, living in the US, just everything. I really CAN'T complain about anything and what I do complain about, I can either change, or it's more venting those little things, which everyone needs to do.
Recently I have felt like the little engine that could. I am running 5 days a week, doing some sort of cardio/weights/yogo on the 6th day and then get one day of rest per week. I never thought in a billion years that I would be able to do this, both physically and mentally, for weeks at a time. Now my legs are changing and responding. Today I went to the gym and ran 7 miles in 57 minutes. I was planning to go slower, but found my pace and stuck with it. I wasn't breathing hard and wasn't sore from yesterday's speed workout. This Hal Higdon (the master marathoner and one who developed the program I'm following) knows his stuff and I really look forward to telling him my success story in May.
I feel tired from lack of sleep all the time, but my legs have strengthened enough that I can still do my normal everyday thing without "feeling it" when I have my longer or faster workouts. It's neat to see and feel and to be a part of. See, I told you I had an endorphin rush! I think a thing that is really neat is that I attached myself to someone else's vision, and someone else has attached to my vision of being a walker/runner. I am humbled by this person who is doing something that I personally couldn't be happy without, and making it her own and a part of her life. I'm not going to go all "George Bailey" on you readers, but try and take account of how you affect people around you. See how you can make a little difference in someone's life by smiling, paying for their coffee, asking how they're doing and actually wanting to hear the answer.
Give it a try as you never know what can happen.
As for me, I'm going to keep on keepin' on! Chug, chug, the little engine that could.

No comments:

Post a Comment