Thursday, January 14, 2010

So much for more frequent blogging

Oops, not sure what happened, but I have completely forgotten to blog! What's up with that? Maybe the weather has frozen my brain or something! At least it's actually above freezing and melting some of the snow and ice from the roads. I've never seen this much snow before, or at least that I can remember, and I'm dreading to see how long it takes to melt! Then I will finally be able to run outside....
I am almost done with my third week of my 18 week training program. It is going very well, although I have to assume that in two weeks, I'll be pretty tired out. On Sunday, I ran an 11 miler at the gym so it was 110 times around. THAT's fun. NOT. But it's better than the treadmill, and I did go faster than the 10 minute mile that I'm supposed to and expected to do. I did a fast 6 miles on Tuesday and today did speed work that went surprisingly fast. I have to pace myself but it's really difficult for me to do that at the gym. I know where I should be on a per-lap basis, but it's just hard when there's a lot of distraction and I have to be sure to not blast into someone on my fast laps, which I almost did. To anyone who does run at the gym, DO NOT change lanes right in front of someone thinking that you're getting out of their way. We will go around you!
On another almost humorous note, I lost my running shoes. I never thought this could happen, but I have been looking high and low for them since Saturday to no avail. I have checked the gym three times, my car, the closet, all over the house and even the trash can. THAT was fun. So I'm using my old ones and thank goodness this weekend is a short run of "only" 8 miles or my feet would be hurting! I have to get some new ones since the old ones have over 500 miles on them. Grrrrr! Pay attention, Kelli!!!!! Lesson learned.
Siouxland Paw Prints Rescue is going to have some big news next week so be sure to check back. As the Sioux City people have heard, the roof caved in at Petsmart, which was a pretty big outlet for Paw Prints' cats. It's also been hard on the foster parents of these cats so let's say an alternative has been found, at least for now. Hopefully I can announce this officially early next week. We do have tons of available cats, declawed, spayed/neutered, some kittens, everything and they are wonderful cats.
Last night was my first meeting as part of the Animal Control Advisory Committee. It was educational and I need to get a little more information before I start to try and get some of my goals accomplished. Let's just say that I am aware, not firsthand though, that there are many wrongs going on there, but I can't just go in and start blasting and expect anyone to listen. There's a time and a place for everything, so hopefully I will be able to succeed at my goal, which is to make a life difference for the animals there. I became aware that most of the adoptable dogs from Animal Control are being taken to no-kill rescues in Minnesota. I wasn't aware of this until last night, and it made me sigh a breath of relief. Now for the cats.....
My biggest dream which I assume is pretty much impossible unless people can get over their high school-ish he said, she said crap, is that all the rescues, Animal Control, and The Humane Society can just get along and work together to irradicate the pet overpopulation problem. I was told "fat chance" by someone last night, but I guess I'll have to claim Pollyanna on this one. Maybe dreams can come true. Let's hope anyway!

No comments:

Post a Comment