Tuesday, October 13, 2009

Welcome to any new readers!


The purpose of this blog is to detail my experiences being an active volunteer for Siouxland Paw Prints Rescue in Sioux City, Iowa. I was introduced to this organization, run by Beth Storm and Kris Kava, just about a year ago and began fostering a pregnant cat, then a dog with 9 newborn puppies. I wanted to do something "bigger" this spring and since I love to run, I decided to start my "Running for a Paws" campaign. I have asked all my friends and family for donations along with those I have done business with. I haven't gotten the best response from those that I don't know, but I am not done yet! I have run over 50 miles in races, trained for 700 miles since March 1st, and have fostered over 50 cats since I started this thing. And I love it. The purpose is to raise awareness along with the funds. I was very hesitant about getting involved since I knew I would learn things that happened to animals that I didn't really want to know. But it has been good for me and has "fired me up" to keep making a difference and to try to make a bigger one next year.

On Saturday, October 17th, I will complete the 2009 campaign by running the Siouxland Lewis & Clark Marathon.....26.2 miles. I have run two marathons before, but they were before my two children were born, so it's a different ballgame now! My goal is to finish around 4.5 hours, but with me being sick the past few weeks and my son having the flu currently, I'm just shooting for less than 5 hours!

I have received almost $2000 in donations and have pledges, most being $1 per mile run in races, totaling about $1000. I just cannot wait to present this pledge money to Beth and Kris, hopefully the very beginning of November!

I am a foster to 10 cats/kittens now, one being more permanent than the others. He is Tycoony, or Grandpa, that I blogged about the other day. He is 14 so I assume that there's not a lot of people who would want to take him on, given that he could have medical issues any day. Then again, I have an 18 month old cat with health issues now too, so you just never know!

I have a lot of stories to tell in the coming months. I am sure I will have a lot of complaining to do with running outside in the ccccold too! I get sooo tired of the treadmill so I make a go of it outside as long as it's safe. My youngest is now in preschool a few times a week so I'm hoping to get outside in the real winter months since I can get out when it's light out. Then I won't have to worry about sliding on my backside down a hill!

Enjoy the blog and please do email me with any comments or really, anything! If you are looking to adopt or want to volunteer or donate, again, please email me! I check my email every day now that I missed a month and missed some really important issues.
Thanks for reading!
~Kelli

No comments:

Post a Comment