Monday, October 26, 2009

More info from marathon

It has been a week and I am ready to start getting ready for another marathon. Luckily for my knees, there's none close to here until May...so I shall be patient, rest up, then begin my training just as the holiday season arrives. That will keep me out of the eggnog!
There were a few things from the marathon that I had wanted to write about but had forgotten, plus I didn't want to make the thing about 25 pages too long. So here goes...
During the first few miles while running in South Sioux, a man ran past me on the right side. He was running in the grass, which I found to be easier on the body, but slower than the pavement. Then I caught a glimpse of...what? TOES? Could that be?? No..... so after the half point, after Stone Park, I saw a bare foot print in the mud. Goodness, it IS someone running with bare feet! Mark Mechaley was inspired by "Born to Run" that talks about the Tarahumara people of northern Mexico. He said that shoes can give people a false sense of stability, so he ran without. For 26.2 miles....in 30-some degree weather. I prefer shoes any day! But I give him a ton of credit for this. He finished in 50th place by the way, which was a time of 3 hrs and 42 min. Wow.
Another point of interest is that after I was done running and trying to figure out why my time wasn't registering, my mom and I saw a man finish who was dressed exactly like Forrest Gump. With the beard, sweatshirt, 80's shorts, tennies, and the hat, he looked the part and I really wish I could have gotten a picture of him. Now I want to enter a marathon where there's a theme and I can act as KraZy as I want without looking strange. During this run, when I was at mile 1, I wanted to yell very loudly "WE ONLY HAVE 25.2 TO GO!!!!!". There were some crickets and maybe a runner who would have heard me, so I will save this outburst for when others can hear. Hopefully they don't try and trip me.
So I started back to running this morning and it was good. Going for a 10 miler in the morning so better get some sleep, which I've just had way too little of over the weekend.
Oh, and I got six kittens last week...three boys, three girls. So Cindy, Greg, Bobbey, Marsha, and Peter were adopted. Poor little Jan is left. She's great so we expect her to be adopted by the weekend as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment